Friday, June 4, 2010

New Sketch- Soul of a Rose


I have been working on this sketch on and off for almost 2 weeks. I love graphite but it is SO labor intensive. However, sometimes nothing will scratch that itch but a pencil or two. This is my interpretation of my favorite painting titled "The Soul of a Rose" by British artist, John Waterman in 1908. I was first introduced to this painting by my sister. She has a beautiful reproduction in her living room and I have always admired it. Lately I have been practicing faces in an attempt to draw this...This woman looks several years older than Mr. Waterman's lady, but I'm satisfied with it as a first attempt at a figure sketch.

5 comments:

  1. Agree with you. Havn't do graphite for a while, I always make my hands so dirty after.
    I am your swap partner papacancan from "Check Out My Blog!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is gorgeous! I am so jealous of your talent!

    Soozydewilde from swapbot

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow.............this is great:)
    I wish I had this kind of talent too!!!!!
    All the best
    I am your swap bot partner:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found you through the "blog hop" and love this drawing. I, too, love Waterhouse, and all the painters of that era including Alma-Tadema.
    I LOVE the watercolors I looked at below. Your flowers are just gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful sketch, I have never used graphite before. I have never seen the original before but I am going to look it up. Thanks for sharing. I too found you from the blog hop. How fun this is!

    ReplyDelete