Thursday, February 17, 2011

Upcycled Blue Jean legs


My husband loves his cuttoff jeans and because he couldn't find any shorts in the store he liked last summer, he decided to cut off a few pairs of his long pants.  So I took 3 of the legs, 2 for a little girl's skirt and 1 to make a matching handbag. (Still have 3 legs left to do something else with....)


First, I removed the thick hard seams with my rotary cutter.  The inner seam to the pant leg was left in place.  Placed right sides together.  I added 4 inches to my granddaughters waist measurement. Added 1 1/2 inches to the fnished length I wanted, then added an additonal 4 inches to the bottom width that the measurement at the waist.  I then took my 6 x 24 ruler and cut, matched on end to the desired width at the waist, the bottom of the ruler at the desired width at the bottom and cut.  Repeat on other side.  Sew side seams together with a 5/8" seam allowance.  Since I do not have a serger and denim frays terribly, when ironing seams open, I placed fusable heming at the inside edge of each side of the seam to deter fraying.  Turn under top waist edge 1/4" and sew.  I used 3/4" elastic for the waist.  On the bottom, I turned under 1/4" and sewed along bottom edge.  I used some glittery blue jean trim I had received from a tag package from Swap-bot and sewed along outside bottom..

The purse:  I took one additional leg and cut to length of 8 inches.  Turned right side in and double stitched raw edge.  Trim corners and turn.  I used the remainder of the trim for the handles, sewn securely two inches  inside bag.  
Result --- Blingy Blue Jean Skirt with matching shoulder bag.  I bet she'll love it!

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm from swap-bot for the more followers for my craft blog swap. I enjoyed visiting your blog and I like your projects! Have a nice day and happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great upcycle project. ~unvlmom~ following from swap-bot

    ReplyDelete
  3. Silvermoonsnake from swap-bot here. Now I follow your blog too. Keep up nice work :)

    ReplyDelete